Sunday, July 12, 2020

TRUE COVID -19 CONFESSIONS


I am going to open by being humble. Like pretty much everyone else, I have been affected by the pandemic. After the publication of my latest novel, FOUR, the Highwayman Books were on a definite upward trajectory, but since the lock-down, sales and reviews have stagnated. On the positive side, the reviews that FOUR and Highwayman received were mostly positive, and some were downright fantastic. The challenge is reigniting that interest and getting my books into the hands of readers.
So how do we do that? Well, the most effective way to stir interest is word of mouth and reader feedback. I have said it in the past, and I'll repeat it, I need reviews, but I also need referrals. So, I need you, my friends, readers, and everyone else to make this lifelong endeavor for me to become a full-time storyteller successful. I am not looking for fame or fortune. A few bucks would be nice, but the end game for me is sustainability.

There are 168 hours in a week. Presently, I work a day job of roughly 50 to 60 hours a week, and I sleep 60 - 70 hours a week, when not interrupted by an evening pee, or two. I estimate that it leaves me roughly 40 to 60 hours every week to take care of the following. Personal business, work around the house, banking, eating, some entertainment, hang out with Stormy and the beagles, and tending to family needs. Quite honestly, it isn't a lot of time, and from that remaining 68 hours, I also must dedicate that time slot to promotion and writing. 

When I published Highwayman in July of 2019, Steve Jackson, the head haunch over at WildBlue, asked when FOUR, Highwayman's follow-up would be ready for publication. I suddenly found myself on a deadline. I panicked a little, the book was about a third to half done, and I wasn't sure where it was going or how it was going to end. I sent a note off to Steve, told him my progress and said I would work tirelessly to get it done. Steve came back with something like, "Don't work tirelessly; just write another great book." That's not it exactly, more like what we used to term in the military as: "words to that effect," and maybe I added the "another great book" part.  Regardless of what Steve said, I still knew that I had a deadline to meet. 

I got down to work. I shut down all social media. Then what I did for approximately four months to meet that goal was to rise a couple of hours before I'd have to get to work on weekdays, between 4 AM and 5 AM and write until 6 AM if I didn't have to be in early. On the weekends, I dedicated a good portion of my remaining time in front of my computer, working drafts, and getting the story finished.

That has pretty much been my schedule since I embarked on this crazy mission. Almost a year and a half ago, I submitted my work to a publisher called WildBlue Press, and they accepted Highwayman and contracted the yet to be finished FOUR. They also took on my two independent novels, The Equinox and Acadia Event, a rare occurrence as those books have already been published independently. 

This has been a strange and cool year. A good friend of mine, named Brad, said something that rings true. He said, "You've put out four novels in the last year." And that is true because my first two books were going onto platforms, they initially didn't have access. All my books are now available in print, digital, and audiobook format. The publisher was pulling out all the stops. But along with this comes the difficulty of promoting four books at once while trying to write another book.
The business reality of writing is this. Publishers take on your work because they need to generate sales, and to cover the costs they foot upfront. It's nice to think that they are all about the art, and they are, but the art must pay the bills. Costs include editors, voice talent, cover design, and advertising. While it would be nice to write and throw it out there even to a small demographic of readers, the reality is that if the books don't make money, the author's future works with a publisher can end up in jeopardy. 

I've been on both sides of this equation. I published my first two books independently, and then recently had all my work accepted to my publisher WildBlue Press. Being with a publisher opens doors and venues that usually aren't readily available to an indie author. The reason I add "usually," because there are independent authors who have pulled out all the stops. Some of them have gotten their books onto all platforms, but it comes at a cost. Some have had their work professionally edited, but that comes at a cost as well, unless you have writer friends willing to donate their time and talent to the task of editing someone else's novel. That happens, but being with a publisher has definite advantages. I also have a publicist who gets out there, pushing my name, arranging the reviews, interviews, guest blogs, and let me tell you; I don't know what I'd do without Mickey Mikkelsen. 

So, I'm busting my hump to get the word out. I know I write engaging and often dark stories, and I'm confident that readers dig what I do. But is it enough, and how far do you want to take this? I want to go all the way, and take it to the Max.

Let me close by saying, my name is MJ Preston. I write horror, science fiction, and thrillers. I just published four novels with WildBlue Press, and I'm hoping you will help me complete the mission of my craft.

Come and Find me!



No comments:

Post a Comment